March 21, 2014

Food Friday: Easy Vegan Spelt Pan x Greens


The other day a dear friend of mine came over for lunch and we did not know what to cook. So usually, I just come up with something eatable and always hope it will taste nice :D The result was a Vegan Spelt Dish with Greens mixed up all together in a pan. It turned out so good that I had to cook it again and use this as today's Food Friday Recipe :)

How come Spelt? Well, I am always curious and want to try out new things. When I first bought it, I added it to some of my breads, just the pure grain and some of my friends might have noticed it because it sometimes would be still hard inside the bread. Additionally, I use spelt as a side dish like Quinoa, so you can easily substitute it for rice, pasta, bread etc. But be sure to soak it in water the night before using it or let it sit in warm water for about an hour. Pure spelt also has more minerals and beneficial nutrients compared to processed wheat. 

Ingredients:
2 cups of spelt, soaked in or cooked with 4 cups of water.
1 zucchini,
1 onion,
some celery,
some cilantro,
some coconut oil for the pan,
any spread (here I've used a paprika cashew one).

More of leftover vegetables as you prefer, add anything you like. This pan serves about 2 hungry people, oh, and spelt is pretty filling ;-)


1. Let two cups of spelt sit with 4 cups of hot water, cover up the bowl with a plate. This takes about an hour OR cook the spelt as you would do it with rice OR let it sit with water overnight.

2.Cut up all your vegetables into slices, squares, just as you like ;-)

3. Put some coconut oil in the pan, heat it up and sauté the onion, add the other ingredients. Cooking a vegetable pan, I always go from the hardest to the softest one meaning e.g. after the onion, the zucchini, spelt, spread, celery, cilantro.

4. Add some salt and pepper as you like or don't season at all since you have the spread, which gives the pan its sauce. Put 2-3 table spoons of it into your pan and mix everything up while its on the stove.

5. Add the celery, mix up for another 5min. and garnish with some chopped cilantro :)


Hmmm.. this is really yummy :) healthy, vegan and super-easy to make ;-) I just love improvising with food and new ingredients. I also love cooked spelt because you have to chew it thoroughly in your mouth, you will notice ;-) And although this is filling, it won't give you that full and stuffed stomach. So do not hesitate to grab a package of Spelt on your next food-shopping trip and try out some delicious spelt pans with vegetables yourself ;-)

Happy cooking and experimenting! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, I appreciate every comment and welcome you to join me in my process. Would love to hear from you, be it criticism or new ideas, thank you for your thoughts!

Love, Minh