June 14, 2013

Food Friday: Quinoa



The first time I had quinoa was in the U.S. at a BBQ, someone brought a salad and I just loved it! The second time I had it was in California at an Israeli restaurant called Oren's Hummus Shop. So, again I was really excited about it when I've found it here. It's really versatile, especially when you like it lighter in the summer; you can substitute it for rice, millet or pasta. Just perfect for vegans or people who are allergic to gluten. I bought mine from the organic brand Rapunzel. They make great nut butters, too!

Some facts about quinoa from Mind Body Green:
+ one serving fills 48% of our daily magnesium needs
+ low in cholesterol and sodium
+ it can be white, red or black
+ is a relative to leafy green veggies like spinach
+ very high in protein

Take a look at the recipes:
The first two pictures are taken from a salad, I've just mixed it up with any vegetable you can find: chinese cabbage, herbs, tomatoes (dried), cucumbers, chickpeas, celery and fennel. Whatever you like will work. Quinoa works as a side dish as well: on the second picture I had it with some tuna and avocado slices and the other night I had it with sautéed spinach, zucchini, onions, mushrooms and chicken. Very simple, it takes less than 12min.!

Here's another quinoa salad recipe from The Chalkboard Mag or try out some delicious breakfast ideas if you have some leftovers, hearty or sweet from Fit Sugar.

Have fun with quinoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, I appreciate every comment and welcome you to join me in my process. Would love to hear from you, be it criticism or new ideas, thank you for your thoughts!

Love, Minh