June 15, 2013

Weekend Food Shopping


It is my first weekend all by myself in Berlin, so what did I get? First of all I have to say that it can be pricey living by yourself and feeding yourself. Haha, no mommy and daddy, no full refridgerator! Anyways, as you can see I try to stay healthy and I cannot live without vegetables, fruits and a bit of protein. I also make sure to have oat flakes, almonds, eggs and whole grain bread in stock.


Carrots: my go-to snack to munch on, full of Vitamin A and good for your eyes.

Zucchini: very good for stir-fries, have you tried it raw?? :)

Peppers: red vegetables and fruits like red grapes are full of iron, you don't need meat! ;-)

Turnip cabbage: vietnamese influence>> steam it and dip it in traditional fish sauce.

Radishes: like the spicy taste a lot, raw! I also use up the greens for soup or broth.

Pickles: who does not love pickles? Try some from McClure's in Brooklyn, super funny, it is a family recipe and these guys make some spicy and garlic ones! Everything hand picked and hand sliced. Want to make a pickle pizza? Check out their website, just love this creativity in cooking!

Bananas: full in potassium, my go-to pre-workout snack when you want to head for a jog in half an hour, very versatile for smoothies, banana bread???! Mix them in oatmeals and it is a great substitute for eggs in baking dishes!

Strawberries: antioxidants go! Dark berries are the best, full of Vitamin C, perfect summer fruit for smoothies, salads, desserts, yummy!

Nectarines: just available here in the summer, more exotic frui.

Whole grain bread: good carbs, whole grains?! says it all, cannot get it, don't like the ones in supermarkets? Bake your own: Whole grain bread variaton #1

Almonds: super healthy fats!!! Your body do need those! Snack on them, make your own almond milk, add to anything from breakfast to salads.

Eggs and cottage cheese: egg-omelet, boiled eggs=6g of protein, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese does not have as much fat but I don't consume as much lactose.

Here are some tips to up your fruit and vegetable intake: Just have it at home! Get out and enjoy the sun!

Happy weekend guys ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, I appreciate every comment and welcome you to join me in my process. Would love to hear from you, be it criticism or new ideas, thank you for your thoughts!

Love, Minh